Re: Car dies - help (Part 2)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, tom@ismdqa.intel.com
Subject: Re: Car dies - help (Part 2)
From: timd@ptltd.com (Tim Dziechowski)
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 92 13:16:52 EDT
It sounds like your Spitfire has the original Lucas electronic ignition
with the amplifier mounted under the distributor.  I had a similar problem
with my 79 Midget...car would run fine, then randomly miss and stall when
hot.  What happens is that the diodes in the amplifier degrade over time
from exposure to heat from the block, and eventually fail.  This only took
a year on my Midget.  There was a Lucas fix for this which exported the
amplifier to a sidewall mount, but any of the aftermarket ignition setups
should work as well.

timd@midget.ptltd.com  (Tim Dziechowski - Phoenix Technologies - 617-551-5068)