Re: Car dies - Help (Part 2)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car dies - Help (Part 2)
From: Dave Roberts <dlr@memlab.psych.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 92 10:15:08 EDT
 -Tom Soukup writes:
> Well,  I have traced the stalling problem on my '79 Spitfile to the
> ignition system.  Using a timing light, I determined that when the car dies
> and won't start, there is no spark.  I also checked the voltage at the
> input terminals to the ignition coil.  Nada.  However, if I pull the
> connections from the coil, I do get 12V at the wires.  Is this enough
> evidence to just replace the coil or is there something else I should
> check?  I seem to remember that not too long ago there was a discussion about
> how to check a coil or if it could be checked.  Does anyone remember if
> there was a concensus?

I have had a similar problem on a 73 Fiat, and a 64 Ford.  In both cases the
resistance across the coil leads were fine when it was cold, but it shorted
when it got hot.  I think it the resist across the coil when it was cool was
about 3 ohms, and 0.5 ohms when it was hot.  I'm not sure of theses numbers.
I may be able to get back to you on it though.

I have never had intermittent problems with electronic ignition components.
They have either been good or bad.  If your coil is shorted, it would
probably drop the voltage at several other places in the system.

David Lee Roberts