Re: brit-car betterment, or 4 days till Palo Alto

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brit-car betterment, or 4 days till Palo Alto
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1992 10:05:33 CDT
dstone (DSTONE@SC9.intel.com) writes:
> Last night I finally managed to extract a hunk of cold steel known as
> the water pump. A feat of engineering that has yet to be rivalled, I
> spent the vast majority of my time removing mostly unrelated components
> just to be able to get at the bolts that held the pump to the lump.

Please excuse the non-LBC content following, but I couldn't let this one
go by: Last spring I had to change the water pump on the Buick V6 in my
Cutlass. Looked easy to do; there were acres of empty space in front of
the engine and I could see almost the entire perimeter of the pump. The
removal process turned out to be a bit more involved than first thought:

        1) I have to remove the upper radiator hose. I cannot reach, or
           even see, its rear hose clamp on the engine, which is blocked
           by the alternator's rear support arm.
        2) Although the alternator is not in the way, I have to remove it
           to get at the rear support arm.
        3) The rear bolt on the rear support arm is under one corner of
           the carburetor. I have to remove the carburetor.
        4) So finally I remove the support arm bolt in order to remove
           the support arm in order to remove the hose clamp in order to
           remove the radiator hose in order to remove the water pump.
        4) "Reassembly is the reverse of the above." ;-)

-- Andy