RE: OilScan

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: OilScan
From: tlp30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Tim Pettenati)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 92 11:35 PDT
Since I first brought up the subject of OilScan and there seems to be some
interest, I thought I'd list the test results.  AAA uses an independant lab
and the results are mailed directly to you,  The printout shows both the
AAA logo and the lab address, which is;(sorry no phone number)
         Herguth Petroleum Laboratories, Inc.
         P.O. Box B
         Vallejo, CA 94590

TEST RESULTS
Spectro Chemical Data - Parts Per Million
Iron          12
Aluminum       8
Chromium       2
Copper        22
Lead         132
Tin            0
Nickel         0
Silver         0
Silicon        4
Sodium       124
Boron          1
Zinc        1003
Phosphorus   889
Calcium     1370
Magnesium    188
Barium         0
Molybdenum     0
Vanadium       2

Physical Properties Data
% Fuel:     <2.0
% Water:    <0.10
Glycol:     <0.10
Oxidation:    20
Sulfates:      5
Nitration:     6

DIAGNOSIS (the following are each marked as Normal, High, or Severe)
Wear Rates
Bearings, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Bushings

Contamination Levels
Sludge content,Fuel in oil,Dirt & Abrasives,Coolant Content,Water Content
(all show normal for my car)

RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE CHECKS
OK - Test results are satisfactory
Resample at 3000 miles

End of test results
The back of the form gives a report explanation with definitions and common
sources of the contaminations and metals listed on the front.

If anyone remembers why I'd done this in the first place. I had added some
of the Redline Water-Wetter to the cooling system and within weeks had oil
like scum floating in the recovery tank.  For some peace of mind I wanted
to see if the reverse was true (coolant in the oil).  After flushing and
refilling the cooling system the problem is gone.  I've talked to one of the
techs from Redline and they would like a sample of the old coolant.  Part
of the problem may have been that I had over 50% Glycol in the system. Most
who use Water-Wetter are doing so with plain water.  Redline recommends 50%
or less glycol when using W-W.  I told the tech that I probably had 60% or
more, he said that he didn't think they had ever tested it at greater than 50%,
and for the California climate that 30% would probably give me sufficient
protection.
So was the OilScan worth it?  I did it mostly out of curiosity.  I feel
better about doing some long road trips in a 20 year old lbc with 72,000
miles on the clock.  If I decide to sell the car, this info could help
persuade a potential buyer.  On the other hand next time I purchase an
older high milage car I may ask the owner for an oil sample.  Of course it
wouldn't be very useful if the oil had been changed recently.