PVC PIPE

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: PVC PIPE
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 12 Jun 92 11:05:22
        Reply to:   PVC PIPE
Somebody on this list gave me the low-down on PVC pipe.  I don't remember who,
nor did I save that particular letter, but here is what I remember:

   *  PVC pipe is rated to carry WATER, which is not compressible.  If a water
pipe cracks, all that happens is a flow or spray of water through the crack.
Air, on the other hand IS compressible.  That means that there is a large
amount of potential energy stored in a tank or pipe of compressed air.  Just
like a spring.   This can cause the PVC pipe to explode.

    *  Those big pressure ratings you see on the sides of PVC pipe are at room
temperature.  On a good hot day, the temperature rating can be cut in half.

    *  Splits or cracks in PVC pipe tend to occur at the connections., and
propagate from there into the system.  Boom!

     - Jerry

p.s.  When I found this out, I had already put together a PVC pipe system in my
garage, but I'm planning to change it.  Preferably BEFORE I get blinded by
flying PVC bits.