Re: Howdy + Request for Hillman sources

To: Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: Howdy + Request for Hillman sources
From: tdm@akguc.att.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 92 13:43 EDT
Speaking of Parts.......!

     I ordered three (3) mirrors from a store here in Atlanta:
2 fender mirrors and a rear-view mirror for my MGA (which is
still at the painter's )  They ordered them from MOSS.  The mirrors
arrived in boxes bearing "MOSS LTD" stickers and "Made in Taiwan"
stickers.  The rear view mirror had a screw to attach a horizontal
piece which mounts to the dash to a vertical piece which holds the
mirror.  The screw was too long causing the mirror to wobble. I
finally ground the screw down to make it fit better.  That helped
but I then found that the horizontal piece wasn't exactly flat so
it wobbles when placed on a flat surface.
     The fender mirrors consist of a curved vertical piece with a
ball on one end.  This is held to the back of the mirror with a
round, slotted piece of metal with 3 holes in it.  The holes don't
line up with the holes in the mirror.  I took them back to the store
and they drilled out the holes in an eliptical fashion so the screws
would fit through the metal piece into the mirror.
     The question of the day is:  If there was a British auto parts
store owned and operated by the Japanese, would they sell crap like
this ??!        (easy.... count to 10....breath deeply.....)
     The mound shaped disc in question is .040 inches thick.  It is
so thin that it probably warped when it was stamped out.  The
1.5 inch washer that goes under the fender is .030 inches thick !
I'll buy another.
     My good friend, auto and laser expert extrordinaire, and great
American, Dan Philen, just informed me that the washer is a
"carriage washer" and will deflect before the fender does......
......     ........well,....the holes should have lined up.
My MGA should be back from the painter a-n-y-d-a-y-n-o-w.

Don Mathis