re: Milled Heads

To: sabbott@NMSU.Edu
Subject: re: Milled Heads
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 9 Jun 1992 13:37 EDT
Sean Abbott asked:
>Someone was telling me I could mill the heads a bit to raise
>compression ie, make the combustion chamber smaller.  My TR7 has like
>8.5-1 and I could probably raise it to 9.5-1.  Anyone out there ever
>done this??

Yes, that is a way to raise the compression ration, BUT don't
do it on a TR-7.  The TR-7 has its own set of problems
related to blown head gaskets, over heating, etc.  Those
problems are very manageable with the stock compression ratio
and proper maintenance (always keeping a proper coolant
mixture, etc.)  Milling of the TR-7 head should (IMHO) be
only done if the head needs to be "trued up" when doing
a head gasket replacement.  If you mill the head just to
increase the comp. ratio, you may not have enough material
left if the head needs to be "trued up" at a later date.

Just my .02
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com