re: Cleaning wiring harnesses

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Cleaning wiring harnesses
From: DANIELS@LMSBVX.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels/TAMU-LMSB Systems)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1992 14:09:40 -0500 (CDT)
Marginal LBC content:

Someone just showed me how to load GIFs onto one of our PC's with a color
VGA monitor. - Hey, I can see what some of you guys drive!!   I especially
liked the TR250 with the mountains in the background.

CAUTION:  The LBC content of the following is debatable.
Use discretion in interpreting.  Your mileage may vary.

>> >I use Trichlorethane to clean cotton and plastic wrapped ...

OK, just a short chemistry blurb:
Both trichloroethylene and trichlorethane (two isomers) are good solvents,
but the jury's still out on which is more "toxic".  As seen below,
trichloroETHANE is more toxic to rats (giant dose method), but
trichloroETHYLENE may have worse long-term effects.

The nice thing about trichloroETHYLENE is that it eventually decomposes
in the presence of light and moisture, so it's potentially more
environmentally friendly.   Neither of the pure solvents should leave any
kind of residue unless it has something dissolved in it -- which it very
well may, since industrial grades often will contain stabilizers.
Trichloroethylene is still used in some dry-cleaning processes, and is used
as an anesthetic (inhalant) is some veterinary applications.

More chemistry:

Trichloroethylene
(trichloroethene)         1,1,1-trichloroethane       1,1,2-trichloroethane

        H     Cl                Cl     H                   Cl     H
          C=C                   Cl-C-C-H                    H-C-C-Cl
       Cl     Cl                Cl     H                   Cl     H

non-flammable              non-flammable            non-flammable
Dissolves most oils        Dissolves most oils      Dissolves most oils
LD50 in rats : 4.92 ml/kg        ???                LD50 in rats : 0.58 ml/kg

Lee M. Daniels - Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding - Texas A&M
   daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu  |  DANIELS@TAMLMSB.BITNET  |  (409) 845-3726