Spitfire Differential

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Spitfire Differential
From: zahid@serval.sps.mot.com (Zahid Ahsanullah)
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 92 14:48:54 CST
A few years ago the differential on my
1980 Spitfire 1500 ran low on oil and
developed a whine around 3200 rpm. The
same thing happened I think to Jim Muller's
car. I just topped it up with oil and pretended
nothing had ever happened and put up with the
now reduced whine. Over the years the noise
however increased and it now to the point where
it has become annoying. So here's the question,
what is this whining noise and how do I get rid
of it? Looking at the manual I can see that there
is a bearing connected to the drive shaft which can
easily be removed, is this all I need to do? In addition
to this there has always been a "tic tic" sound coming
from the driver side rear of the car even if I am coasting.
Replacing the wheel bearing didn't do nothing. I suspect
it might be the pin bearing behind the wheel bearing
on which the pinion shaft rides. I there any test I can
do to confirm this? Please give me some advice.

Best Wishes
Zahid

ps: Hey Jim M. is your Diff. still ok.?