Questions about performance...

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Questions about performance...
From: zrol01@trc.amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 92 11:42:10 CST
Please help me with your opinions.  I have the following
conditions with my recently (upper half) rebuilt '66 Jag 3.8s:

at idle (600rpm and smooth)
   no smoke (blue or black) at any temperature
   cool engine:  40+ psi oil pressure
   hot engine:  15 psi oil pressure          ???
   (hot = 190 degrees F)

up to about 2500 rpm under normal load
   no smoke
   cool engine: 45+ psi oil pressure
   hot engine: 35+ psi oil pressure

>2500 rpm or heavy load (up hill)
   accasional cough thru carbs followed by some smoke, possibly
   oily.
   same pressures as above

no observed blow-by.  that is, nothing blowing from the crankcase
vent pipe (i know it is open).

timing is suspect as i have only static timed the car to
5 degrees btdc (as per spec. for 9:1 comp. ratio).

points and their dwell angle are fine

your opinions please. Thank you...

rick lindsay