Oil cooler/oil level

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Oil cooler/oil level
From: Bob Spidell <spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 92 8:02:32 PST
Got a question regarding oil coolers (occasionally, I think about putting
one in my Healey then something breaks and I fix that instead).  I would
guess an oil cooler would have a quart or two of capacity.  Given that
the cooler will be filled when the engine is running, must you add that
extra quart or two to the sump?  If so, you would have an over-filled
sump, at least for the first few seconds of engine operation.  Does the
cooler have a check valve to prevent this?  At any rate, you must have
to re-calibrate the dipstick to account for the extra volume, right?
Does the thermostat act as a check valve as well, helping to prevent
the extra oil from draining back into the sump?

Semi-political comment follows; skip if uninterested.

Regarding the apparent "banning" of winged knockoffs:

Try calling British Wire Wheel, in Santa Cruz, CA. at (408) 479-4495.
If Bruce can't/won't sell them to you, you're probably SOL.  It seems
as if our government, being unable (or too busy bouncing checks) to
solve the REAL problems of our time, has taken to attacking token
problems (pre-1980 cars, knockoffs, etc.).  Sort of like the class
bully who only picks on the small, weak kids.