Oil for break-in

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Oil for break-in
From: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 92 10:29:34 EST
Someone, somewhere, writes:

        I like Castrol, but I wonder about this- first I've heard. I know you
        don't want to use synthetics for breakin anyhow. There are a lot of
variables
        in materials & dimensions which could make this true, maybe.

        > Do I buy some Quaker State 30W and run my car for a few hundred miles
now?

        Why not- cheap & easy.

        > What have you folks done?

        Run Castrol 20-50 in all my British street engines in summer. 10-30 or
        20-50 in the Japaneese stuff, seasonally. Something reasonable in
        my Ford truck, and straight 30 Wt in my '39 Ford tractor. The
        30 wt. is a candidate for break-in. Less additives.

Just to throw in my $0.02, upon rebuilding my Spit 1500 engine I was told by a
very
reputable place to use straight 30W for break-in: racing oil.  It worked fine.
Also, change the oil and filter after the first 100 miles.

                Tim