Engine problems

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Engine problems
From: Geronimo x54903 page 951-3432 <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 92 07:50:31 PST
This is a problem I'm having with another vehicle(not my GT6)but I figured I'd
throw it out on the net and see what y'all think.

Symptoms: Not a lot of power, using a lot of oil (about 2 qts. every 180
miles), a good amount of blue smoke from exhaust,  seems like excessive blow-by
from the breather hose.  Idles OK, no strange noises, is NOT loosing any water.
I did a compression check last night and got this:

Cyl #1=140psi, #2=125psi, >>>>#3=30psi<<, #4=145psi.

I stuck some oil in cyl's 2 & 3 and tried again.  #2=150psi, #3=30psi.

The short block on the engine was done over about 43K miles ago because of
knocking main bearing.  The head (which is aluminum) was replaced with a
rebuilt one ~1 1/2 yrs ago; the head gasket blew and overheated the engine
cracking the head.

I removed the valve cover, all the valves seem to be operating OK.  The #2
cylinder looks like a ring problem.  The #3 seems to be a head problem, but
not exactly sure what.  What do y'all think?  I'm debating whether I should rip
into it or maybe look for another motor.  The motor must be removed to do any
bottom end work.

Thanks,
Mike G.
gendimen@t12sys.intel.com