exhaust, headers, etc.

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: exhaust, headers, etc.
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James TenCate)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 92 09:12:55 -0600
Below is an ASCII sketch of the exhaust system on a TR8.  The stock
exhaust manifolds are the usual types.  The exhaust manifold feeds
directly into two catalytic converters, then back to a pair of
mufflers connected by a balance pipe.  The rest of the system is
obvious.

               -----        ---------              -----------
            *** CAT ******** MUFFLER ************** RESONATOR ****
 !  !  !  !    -----   *    ---------              -----------
                       *
 i  i  i  i    -----   *    ---------              -----------
            *** CAT ******** MUFFLER ************** RESONATOR ****
               -----        ---------              -----------
     ^                 ^                                        ^
     I                 I                                        I
   Engine         Balance Pipe                              Tailpipes

We on the TR8 sublist have been having a discussion about headers and
balance pipes that I thought I'd bring over to britcars.  I'm
specifically interested in variations on the TR8 exhaust but my
questions apply to everyone.

Questions:

(0)  Can someone give me a nice concise (scientific even) description
of how headers actually work?  I think I have a farily rough idea
but...

(1)  What exactly does the balance pipe do?

(2)  How would a pair of 4-2-1 headers work WITH and WITHOUT the
balance pipe on the 8's system above?

(3)  How are mufflers rated?  For example, how could I find out if I
could fit two ANSA TR7 mufflers and two ANSA TR7 resonators in place
of my rusty old TR8 stock system??

Any and all comments welcome :-)

Thanks!

jim