Triumph Vitesse imported to the USA, was GT6/Spit Conversion

To: GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com
Subject: Triumph Vitesse imported to the USA, was GT6/Spit Conversion
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 11 Mar 1992 13:19 EST
>Also, I've never seen a Vitesse, only in pictures.  Were these only made for
>Great Britain?
>
>Mike G.

The Vitesse WAS imported to the USA in limited numbers during
the 1960's until Federal Smog/Safety regulations went into
effect in 1968.  The small sedan in the 1960's did not find
a willing market at the price it was selling for.

I don't know how many came to the USA in total, but it
is probably less than 5000 for all years.  It was available
in a convertible, coupe and sedan form, I believe.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com