Spit/GT6 conversion and s/n ratio

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Spit/GT6 conversion and s/n ratio
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 92 14:26:43 -0500

        As you may recall I'm trying to convert my spitfire 1500 from the
factory 4 cyl. to the GT6 6 cyl. engine.  (which I then hope to stroke to
2.5 liters :-), some of us are never satisfied!).  Apparently you do not
have to change the hood if you lower the engine using different engine
mounts.  Has anyone ever heard of this or seen it?  I can't think of any
way to do this without causing the plane of the transmission output flange
and the plane of the differential input flange to no longer be parallel.
How much would a few degrees affect the driveshaft?  Would it vibrate alot?

        Also, in the recent vein of too much traffic.  I agree with the policy
of being more careful with the subject headings.  May I suggest a self imposed
signal to noise ratio rating be put in the subject heading too?  What I mean
is that we could estimate the hardcore british car content of the posting and
then give a percent rating.  For example I would give this one 0.5 s/n rating.
That way it would be easy to decide what is fluff and skip it if you want.
I think one of the most important aspects of the list is the friendly
conversational
tone it has.

Woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu