a great week for LBC's in CA!

To: British-cars@hoosier
Subject: a great week for LBC's in CA!
From: T.J. Noto <noto@twg.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1992 16:51:28 -0800
What a contrast this past weekend was with last week!  Temperatures
here in the South Bay hovered around 75 degrees all week!  It was
even possible to remove the top (fortunately I have the technical
background for such an operation) on my 66 'B for the morning commutes.
The recent banter regarding brit cars on TV ads brought to mind some
neat lit I have collected over the past few years.  The one I am
proudest of is a small three ring binder which is a BMC salesmans
reference from the 60's.  It has all the technical specs and options
as well as appropriate sales features of the period. . i.e.in reference
to the Big Healey "The last angry car". . and of the B "First with
the Octagon spirit". . really funny stuff.  It has various price and
performance comparisons vs such cars as Alfa's, Triumphs, Volvo's and
even the Datsun roadster!  Also included is an original paint chip
sample which for some reason does not include my favorite BMC hue-
Iris Blue.  The manual appears to be from around 1967 at which time
I believe that colour was no longer used. . .could be wrong.  I also
came across about 10 issues of Playboy from 1960 to 1967.  They are
loaded with really neat MG, Aston Martin, Triumph and Alfa ads.  .
the problem is that I hate to sacrifice and I don't know how else to
replicate these ads. . .they obviously offer some entertainment value
and nostalgia for those of us afficted with the LBC virus.

On a more technical note. Has anyone ever heard of a split skirt
piston needing a bigger that standard ring end gap?  When rebuilding
my engine on my 66 B some 30,000 miles ago, the source from which
I obtained pistons sent me some very old BHB pistons which looked like
they had been on the shelf since 1966!  Upon measuring the end gap I
discovered it was over twice what the workshop manual specifies. . the
guy I bought them from said "don't worry, that's the way they're
supposed be that way!"  He told me that I should  put em in the engine
and to return them if it smoked!  That was an option I chose not to
explore! I returned the units and bought Hepolites. . .and just for
kicks I wrote to the manufacturer of the pistons back in jolly ol
England asking them about the discrepancy between end gaps. . .that
was over a year ago. . meanwhile my B engine hums along happily thet

 ?oops sorry about that. . my Mac (toy)just freaked out!  I guess
that means it's a good time to sign off. .
TJ Noto
66 MGB  69 Triumph Bonneville
"A gentleman does not motor about after dark" J. Lucas