re: Rare Triumph Part Needed

To: George_N_Haynes.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Subject: re: Rare Triumph Part Needed
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 28 Jan 1993 14:19 EST
>I'm gonna restore my 1965 TR4A next winter and there is one part which will
>be hard to replace.  The car has a Surrey top (fixed rear window, Targa-like)
>complete with the original SOFT top.  Since the hardtop panel is too big to
>stow in the car when removed, I leave it home, making the soft top essential
>here in the Northeast. The original soft top is torn and stiff and shrunk.  I
>have never seen a new Surrey soft top offered anywhere.   Has anyone seen one
>of these advertised?  Has anyone ever needed one?
>Options that come to mind:
>       of  Find a top shop which can make one from scratch.
>       of  Buy a full-size top and have it altered to fit in back.
>       of  One more repair to the old rag....
>Does anyone out there have help or other suggestions?  Much appreciated!
>George

I'd opt for having a new top made by a competent top shop.  By going
that route, you can provide the shop with your original top and then the
new one can be made as an exact replacement which will be "custom" fitted
to your car.  Check with the local antique car club folks and/or the
local street rod folks for recommendations of who to do the work.

Even if an original new top can be found, you'll likely be asked
to pay big $$$ for such a rare item.  I've actually seen where a good
top shop can custom make and install a top for less money than if
you bought a new replacement top from one of the vendors and then
paid the shop to do the installation.

As to buying a full size top, all you'd be doing that for would be
to get the material for the surrey top, that's a real expensive price
to pay for a couple of yards of vinyl top material.

Lastly, repairing the old top.  You might also have that done in addition
to having a totally new one made.  You can then save the "original" top
for special car shows, etc. and you'll then always have it as a
pattern sample for making another new top in the future if needed.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com