My Pesky British Car

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: My Pesky British Car
From: MANSEMP@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1993 16:28 CST
I am hoping someone may be able to help me out.  I own a 1980 TR7
that has developed a gearbox problem.  After leaving my car with a
friend of mine over X-mas break shifting into third gear is not a
smooth task.  It feels like the clutch is not fully engaged, but in
fact the cluth works fine.  Once the car is in third there are no problems
with the gearbox (or whatever the problem is).  There is also a slight
problem with fourth gear.  It slides into gear normally, but  when the
car is under excelleration the stick has a nasty vibration and makes
a clacking noise.  The noise sounds like a metal stick being run across
a metal fence.  It is not loud, but it is not normal either.  All other
gears are perfectly fine.  I realize this decription is a little vague,
but I am hoping someone may have an indication as to the cause.  A
friend of mine thinks it may be the synchro.  Will a bad syncro affect
first second and fifth gears as well?  If indeed it is the synchro, is
it difficult to replace?
   If anyone owns a five speed TR7 and has had difficulties in line
with this,I would be greatly appreciate your insights.
Michael Manser
MANSEMP@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU