anti-sway bars explained

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: anti-sway bars explained
From: ian@Centric.COM (Ian Macky)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 93 10:34:08 PST
Thanks to all for setting me straight.  I've pretty much got it now, with
only a *few* last questions...

The metal sleeve that fits over the end-link shaft is meant to keep the
original rubber bushings from getting pinched and mauled, and perhaps to
save any end-link threads that may contact the rod end from mashing?

It appears the sleeves aren't needed using the urethane bushings since
they don't compress and pinch and move about?  Zat so?  Plus the
urethane bushings have a lip that fits neatly into the rod-end hole
and positions them.

That's not the mail question.  The *real* question is, how tightly bolted
together do you make the end-link and bits?  The stack of parts is:

    end-link, cup washer, bushing, rod end, bushing, cup washer, nut.

using the urethane (I think).  The original setup with rubber is:

    end-link, cup washer, bushing (on sleeve), cup washer, rod end,
    cup washer, sleeve sticking through here from other side, bushing,
    cup washer, nut.

Is this right?  In either case, how tight do you bolt the whole mess
together??

Thank you!!

--ian