Re: Bugeye dash, and flipped steering racks.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bugeye dash, and flipped steering racks.
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 93 10:14:38 CST
James Howard writes >

>if you tried to turn left, the car went to the right.
>If you tried to turn right, you wound up in the flowers to your left.

My dad did the same thing with a power boat.  He wound the cable round the drum
on the steering column the wrong way.  It amazes me that he didn't find this
out until he was underway.  Nearly flipped the boat, I'm told.  I would have
thought one would test the system to see if if anything was binding or
anything.  Since you can see the outboard motor form the helm, I would expect
one to notice something amiss.

>Seems there is a reason the pinion is below the rack in most cars.

That would depend on whether the rack was in front of or behind the axle .
The pinion is below the rack if the rack is in front of the axle.
The pinion is above the rack if the rack is behind the axle.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"A Lotus is a kit car bolted together for ease of shipping." - unknown