US series II vs III XJ6

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: US series II vs III XJ6
From: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 93 11:10:42 WST

Greetings

I just saw a book with a picture of a late series II XJ6 from the US
and it had rubber bumpers on it.  Everywhere else I have seen in the
world including Australia the series II had chrome bumpers up untill
the demise of the model in 1978.  It is only the series III XJ6 that
has rubber bumpers (1979-86) that are more square and flat than the
US series II bumpers I saw.  Apparently it had something to do with
US safety regulations.  So what do people know about all this?  I
must say to see a series II with tack on rubber (over the top of the
chrome it looked like) was weird!! ;-)

I was also reading in the same book that the US market is largely
responsable for the introduction of the Auto transmissions into
many of the Jaguar marques....Shame America, Shame!!! :-)
Has anyone driven the 5-speed manual XJ6?  It's quite amazing.
I have the Auto too...I think it suits the mobile-lounge
character of the car but the manual transforms the engine and
car into something a little more sporty/quick/fuel-efficient

Regards Scott.
Scott Fisher [scott@psy.uwa.oz.au]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3272).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.      Perth [32S, 116E]-->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

Joy is a Jaguar XJ6 with a flat battery, a blown oil seal and an unsympathetic
wife, 9km outside of a small remote town, 3:15am on a cold wet winters morning.