MG Summer Picnic

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: MG Summer Picnic
From: DODD@elmo.el.wpafb.af.mil
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1991 8:29:42 EDT
     I am sure there will be plenty on the net this week from the VTR
bunch, but I don't want the MG folk to be ignored.  I will try
and draw first blood by covering the MG Summer Picnic sponsored
by University Motors in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  Based on pure
numbers, this was the largest show to date.  There were close to
600 MGs in one place at one time.  I will have to put in a
disclaimer, some did need at least a jump start to make it off
the field :-)
     The chrome bumper Midgets were the feature car this year with
almost 50 present.  One midget was missing.  A guy by the name of
Phil Ethier(sp?) should have been there with his, but I've heard
rumors that he has become a traitor.  He may have been there
however, at least one Europa was present.  (Sorry Phil, my
jealousy over floweth!)  For me the most interesting one had a
child seat mounted behind the seats.  The problem was, the top of
the seat was above the windshield.  A bug juice face for a 1 year
old is not a pretty sight!  My wife nixed this one for our car.
Maybe I can hang one from the roll bar.  A seat, not our
daughter!
     Probably the two most interesting cars were a J2 and an SA.  The
J2 was on the return leg of a 2000 mile trip with no apparent
support vehicle.  Somebody must have known old man Lucas and got
a guarantee from him to take on a trip like that!  It was a cycle
fender model with a slab tank in perfect red paint.  This was a
spectacular sports car.  The SA was also spectacular, but in a
very different way.  It is hard to imagine an MG this big and
stately.  (Owning a midget, its hard to imagine MG made an engine
big enough to move a car that size!)  It reminded me of the late
40's/early 50's Jaguars.  It was done in a striking black and
grey color scheme.  This car was in original condition whereas
the J2 had been restored.  It was quite a contrast to see these
two cars almost side by side.  Also present was the only known TB
in the US.  Quite a rare car and built from a wreck discovered in
a field in England.
     This won't silence the VTR folk, but at least all the
net.bandwidth won't be TR ;-)
     Now, where is that flame deflector...
MAD