Re: MGA UPDATE

To: british-cars@encore.com, jkaidor@synoptics.com
Subject: Re: MGA UPDATE
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 91 15:39:22 pdt
Date: 21 Aug 91 14:19:39
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Subject: MGA UPDATE

>    I still haven't resolved my aluminum body-work problems.  The driver's door
>in particular had a large dent that I planished out, producing an "oil-can"
>area:  Press it this way, and it goes "boing!"; press it that way, and it goes
>"Twaing!".  Any words of wisom out there on shrinking aluminum?

The only method I know of is to use a shrinking dolly and/or hammer on
the cold metal.  Work hardening can be relieved by sooting the area then
burning the soot off with a neutral flame.  The little hash marks left
by the shrinking tools should be filled with bondo or body putty rather
than filed because filing or sanding thins the metal too much.  I have
to admit I haven't tried any of this yet and am still hoping to come
across a better method of shrinking aluminum.  If any of you know of any
other techniques, I'd very much like to hear about them.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.dtc.HP.COM
CSX2282