Need roto-rooter for TR-6...

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Need roto-rooter for TR-6...
From: key@cs.utk.edu
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 91 11:02:16 EDT
Well, I finally got around to taking my head off my '73 TR-6,
but not until after a bad boil-over.  One problem, though, the
block drain won't drain.  This, of course, caused quite a mess
when I did get the head off the block (the block still in the car).
The water does move around the channels, it just won't drain down,
so I don't think this is the source of my overheating problem.
Has anyone run into this before and/or have a pat solution?
What do I need to be careful of down there if I go poking
around with coat-hanger wire?

The head-gasket seemed basicly OK, with discoloration around the
left side of the number 1 cylinder.  This is the first time I've
pulled a head, but it's my guess this is from the over heating.
After I got the gasket off, there was a pieces of a paper-like
substance on the head and on the block surfaces near the front
of the engine.  Is this from the head gasket, from adhesive the
previous owner may have used, or ??

I'll be cleaning the head up and checking for warpage tonight.
Should I consider getting it 'fluxed since I toasted it?  Or
on general principle?  Pull the valves?

Thanks for the advice,
Ken Key  (key@cs.utk.edu)