Hello All

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Hello All
From: well!phabib@apple.com (Philippe Habib)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 91 19:53:52 pdt
My name is Philippe and I'm new to the mailing list.

My history with British cars started with my first car.  A 1974 Austin
Marina given to me by my sister who was sick of throwing money at it.  It
had about 35k miles on it and was on its 3rd rear axle and alternator, along
with many other repairs.

I drove it for a few months and the engine went so I overhauled it.  It was
OK for a while, then the automatic transmission went and since it was going
to cost a couple of thousand Dollars to fix, it was time for a new car.

I went to the car dealer and test drove a TR7.  I had to have that car but
soon changed my mind after finding out how much my insurance company wanted
to let me drive it.  (I was 18)  I bought a Toyota instead and traded the
broken Austin for a Willys pickup in similar condition.

Last February, I was helping a friend with his Opel GT when I mentioned that
if I ever found a cheap TR7, I'd like to buy it.  That same day, he saw a
77 5speed for $500.

The engine had been apart for about 6 months but the body was in fine shape
so I got the car for $350.  Since then, I overhauled the engine, installed
new struts/shocks, new brakes all around, new wheel cylinders, new clutch
master cylinder (actualy, I rebuilt it) and new front tires.

The next item is the carburators.  The choke is allways on, I get terrible
mileage and it diesels after being turned off.

Other than that, and the lack of a radio, the car is a lot of fun to drive.

I'm glad to be here and I'm looking forward to talking cars with all of you.