Restoring Plastic Windows

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Restoring Plastic Windows
From: Jerome Kaidor <mit-eddie!synoptics.com!jkaidor@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 90 08:30:50 -0700
     The aviation folks have a kit called "Micro-Mesh" for restoring scratched
plastic.  It consists of abrasive-empregnated cloths of various grits, all the
way up to 24,000 grit! ( Or so ).  Anyway, you use it by taking off your scratch
es with regular 600 grit paper first, then sanding down the area with finer and
finer micro-mesh cloths.  It's very labor intensive, but plastic can be returned
to virgin smoothness.  The kit costs about $20, and is sold at aviation supply
houses ( down at your local small-plane airport ).  I used it on the rear window
of my TR2 hardtop, which is made of solid unobtainium.

  - Jerry Kaidor