Re: Palo Alto british car meet

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Palo Alto british car meet
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 14:42:28 pdt
From: EDDIE.MIT.EDU!mit-eddie!sybase.com!barry (barry klawans)
Subject: Palo Alto british car meet

>The Palo Alto meet seems to be run with fun in mind.  There is no concourse,
>no autocross, funkanna, or rally.  In other words, no competition.  (And
>unfortunatly no british ale :-( )  Just a friendly show-off meet.  Looked
>at that way Palo Alto was very successful.  It was worth going just to see
>downtown Palo Alto overrun with british cars shortly before 10.  We must
>have outnumbered the non-british cars.

I pretty much felt the same way.  I think how you felt about it depended
a lot on whether you were a participant or a spectator.  If you were a
participant, competition and awards were part of the fun but I don't
think this was a big deal to the rest of us who just came to look at
some of our favorite cars.  That was certainly fun enough for me.  I
generally don't even like to bring a camera to a car show because it
distracts from the looking.  As for parties, again that's mostly for
participants.  And one other thing, it didn't cost anything to be a
spectator.  There just aren't many activities as enjoyable as this that
are free anymore.

I did miss the British Ale but the lack of toilets went unnoticed.  I
suspect that was mostly due to a lack of British Ale.  Had my wife been
along, the toilet shortage would definitely not have gone unnoticed.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcilsn.HP.COM
CSX2282