Re: floorboards (fwd)

Subject: Re: floorboards (fwd)
From: Darrell Walker <mit-eddie!hprpcd.hp.com!walker@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 90 11:00:36 PDT
Forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 7 Sep 90 8:04:58 PDT
To: rej@cs.unc.edu
Subject: Re: floorboards

Eugene,

I am doing a similar project on my TR4A.  Is the sound-deading stuff
a glued on sheet or an undercoating type stuff?  My car had some glued
on panels that I was able to lift by using a little solvent (laquer
thinner or acetone) to loosen the glue, then pry off with a putty
knife.  The sprayed on type undercoat  will scrape off easily if you
heat the panel on the opposite side with a torch (propane will work
fine).  You can also heat it directly, which makes it into a goey mess
that you can also scrape off.  Again, laquer thinner or acetone will
dissolve the remnants.

My repair of the floorboards will consist of ginding most of the rusty
metal away, coating it with Duro's Extend, then fiberglassing over the
area.

--
   Darrell Walker                 walker@hprpcd.hp.com
   (916) 785-4059                 HPDesk: walker (hprpcd) /HP5200/UX