Greasing Healey u-joints (was Re: E-type Stuff)

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Greasing Healey u-joints (was Re: E-type Stuff)
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 90 10:42:57 pdt
From: Joe Augenbraun

>(Dangerous Dan complains about bleeding rear E-Type brakes)
>
>Those access plates that you talk about only exist in SIII roadsters, and
>all 2+2's.  Every other E-type has the same rear brake arrangement, just
>without the access plates.  Count your blessings.  On many cars the only
>way to bleed the rear brakes is with a wrench that you have specially bent
>to the right shape with a torch.  No kidding.

Anyone who owns a big Healey is probably aware of what a bitch it is to
lubricate the u-joints from underneath the car (maybe this problem was
corrected in later models, mine was a '61).  If I wasn't watching while
the car was being greased, one of the u-joints was always by-passed
because of a frame cross-member which made access to it virtually
impossible.  I had more than one service station attendant tell me to
never bring my car back to them for a lube job again.  I finally made up
some special fittings to do it myself but it was still a painful job
and I always dreaded it.  It was only after I sold the car that I found
out that there was a removable plate inside the car on the drive shaft
tunnel which allowed access to this (rear?) u-joint.

Roland