re: I'm very sad...

To: "bcr!wsl.dec.com!kent"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: I'm very sad...
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 24 Aug 1990 9:46 EDT
Chris Kent's story relating how his TR-4 and a deer tried
to occupy the same space at once deleted......

>Oh boy oh boy. I just love dealing with insurance companies. I wonder
>how many of these parts are available. Where's that TRF catalog?
>----------

Hopefully, Chris will fair well with his insurance company, but
should he not, I offer the following which has helped others in
the past.

       WHAT'S IT WORTH?

Over the year's I have been involved with The Vintage
Triumph Register, I have helped several people win battles
with either their insurance company or the insurer of
someone that did damage to their Triumph.  (NO, VTR does
not do appraisals!)  What I have done is provide the
individual with sources for comparable value of their
particular Triumph when disputes have surfaced.

Usually, when a conflict arises,
the insurance company takes the position that
the car is nothing more than an old vehicle
worth no more than several hundred dollars.
If such a dispute arises, it is important to
have a means to help determine what fair
value for your "old British car actually is.  In my
opinion, one of the best sources of value is "The Old
Cars Price Guide" published by Krause Publications,
700 E. State Street, Iola, Wisconsin 54990.

The "Old Cars Price Guide" lists values for cars in
five conditions as described below.  Additionally there is
an FP, factory price, column showing original factory
price for that model and year.  The prices listed for
each condition are for COMPLETE vehicles; not parts cars.
Modified car values are not included, but can be estimated
by figuring the cost of restoring to original and adjusting
the figures shown.  The five condition catagories are:

1) EXCELLENT - A car restored to current maximum professional
standards of quality in every area, OR a perfect original
car with all components operating and appearing as new.
A 95+ point show car that is not driven.

2) FINE - A well restored OR combination of superior
restoration and excellent original car.  Also, an extremely
well maintained original car showing very minimal wear.

3) VERY GOOD - A completely operable original car or an
older restoration showing wear.  Also a good amateur
restoration, all presentable and serviceable inside and
out.  This condition also includes combinations of well
done restoration and good operable components OR a
partially restored car with all the parts necessary to
complete and/or with valuable NOS (New Old Stock) parts.

4) GOOD - A driveable vehicle needing no or only minimal
work to be functional.  Also, a deteriorated restoration
or a very poor amateur restoration.  All components may
need restoration to be "excellent," but the car is mostly
useable "as is."

5) RESTORABLE - Needs complete restoration of body,
chassis and interior.  May or may not be running, but the
car is not weathered, wrecked or stripped to the point
of it being useful only for parts.

The latest issue of the Price Guide I have in my office
is December 1989.  In it it lists the following values
for a 1967 TR-4A (which is, I think, the car Chris has.)

1967 TR-4A  Factory Price $2899

(5)=$950, (4)=$2100, (3)=$4750, (2)=$6650, (1)=$9500