TR-6 questions

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: TR-6 questions
From: mit-eddie!midget.towson.edu!perry@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Robert Perry)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 90 08:34:01 EDT

TR-6 gurus:

        I am looking at several TR-6's for sale in my area.  One that
catches my interest the most is a 71 TR-6.  The car is in need of some
serious restoration, but if some of my suspicions are correct, it may be
worth it.  So I pose these questions to you:

1)  What do the factory alloy wheels look like?  This car has rounded
spoke mini-lite-like wheels.  I would dismis them as aftermarket if it
were not for the fact that the spare is the same alloy wheel, with a
stock tire mounted to it.  The most distinguishing feature about the
wheels are that the center caps (all missing) look like they thread on to
the wheel with a thick tread.

2)  This car has the factory oil cooler.  Is this a rare option?  (rare
enough to make it worthwile?).  This is the first TR-6 I've seen with
one that wasn't in a show.

3)  It seems that most of the column switches were buggered by the last
owner.  hence there are a myriad of non-stock switches to operate the
horn, dimmer, etc.  Since the owner of the car is out of state, and the
father is selling the car, he does not know if it has overdrive.  Is
there a way to tell by looking at the serial number?  When I last looked
at the car, there was a hornets nest under the car, and I wasn't about
to go probing underneath.

4)  Front fenders are too rusted to be patched.  Are they difficult to
replace?  I see that they are bolt on, but this doesn't guarentee ease
of removal.

WHAT ELSE SHOULD I LOOK FOR!?  I think he'll let it go for a song if I
kick up enough dirty laundry about the car.  Oh, the car does not have
a hard top...does anyone have one?  I would prefer a factory one, they
seem to be built more sturdily then the fiberglass ones.

Thanks for any help...any/all comments will be appreciated.

--
   0 0    | Robert Perry | Internet:  perry@midget.towson.edu
  0 C 0   | VAX Operator |   BITNET:  e7opbob@towsonvx