Re: Two quick questions about a 66 Jag

To: larry_schwarcz%q0@hp6600.desk.hp.com
Subject: Re: Two quick questions about a 66 Jag
From: mit-eddie!BBN.COM!san@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 90 11:16:35 -0400
Questions about 66 E-type's sidelights:

This is from the "Original Jaguar E-Type" by Philip Porter:

Series I 3.8:
        For countries other the US, the cars had white front sidelight lens and
amber flasher lens; for the USA, the flasher lens was also white.

Series I 4.2:
        The white flashers are now shipped to France, Holland and Italy as well
as the USA. A different lens was fitted to UK cars (54577274 as opposed to 545
72374).

Series 1.5 4.2:
        no change.

Series II 4.2:
        All Amber for US and CDN cars, and amber and white for most countries,
white only for Greece, Italy and Japan.

This seems to agree with my Alfa Duetto as well, I have a 68 Euro model with
white and amber lens while I think the US cars were fitted with white ones.

Anyway, IMHO, the correct lens is the unbroken one that fits. But if you must
have this sort of details, I highly recommend this book and the "Definitive
E-Type History" by the same author.

Advice du jour: Check and if suspect, replace all your rubber hoses. I was left
stranded this weekend by the big cat when the water hoses to and from the heat
exchanger busted. Is there better after market rubber parts than the OEM? What
is it with british rubber? good thing they don't make condoms :-; (or do they?)

Cheers,

- Steve.