Re: Spit Rr Wheel Bearing R&R?

To: ames!sgi!alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU, muller@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Spit Rr Wheel Bearing R&R?
From: sgi!ames.arc.nasa.gov!rutgers!cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com!jesup@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Randell Jesup)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 18:05:57 EDT
>Speaking of Spitfires, someone wrote the other day about the 1500 losing a
>bearing and needing an oil cooler.  Umm...while I am not a total authority,
>I have never heard of such a tendency, and as far as I have ever seen, oil
>coolers have never been a common or recommended item for street Spitfires.

        It might be helpful.  The 1500 can be a little bit fragile and/or
prone to wear in it's bottom end (at least by comparison) if not maintained
diligently.  An oil cooler might help some there, perhaps.  (Information on
1500 from books and articles in british car magazines - I use A-series
engines.)

        Randell