Re: kids and LBC two-seaters (Re: Trials of Love)

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM,
Subject: Re: kids and LBC two-seaters (Re: Trials of Love)
From: Michael Sands <mit-eddie!apple.com!sands@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 08:23:37 -0700
Lydia asks about transporting kids in little cars.

I have to admit that this story does not concern a "LBC" but perhaps
you can gain inspriation from it anyway.

My wife and I vowed that we would not let the kid slow us down.  Besides
the kid would love to go where we do and do what we do.  Isn't that
how kids learn?

I had a Corvette and fashioned a child's seat so that it would mount
facing rearward between the two front facing seats.  I put a bar of
aluminium rivited to the back of the child's seat that spanned the
distance between the two normal seats and used the regular seat
belt attachment points to connect a seat belt for the kid's seat.

Stories abound.  Elisa would wave at the cars that pulled up behind
us at stops and would report back what people waved back.  Many
would do so with smiles on their faces.

Going to the grocery store was fun.  Packing the car with groceries
by surrounding Elisa tickled her.  The milk always would not fit and
had to be placed in her lap for safe keeping.

On a long trip, Elisa reported that we were approaching a Standard
station and a MacDonalds.  I spent half an hour, though tears fo
laughter, that we were going, not coming, and that she was facing
the "other" way.

I sold the Corvette and I only miss it because of those long trips
with my wife and daughter as company.

Elisa has been pestering me to put the kid's seat in the Super Seven...
She doesn't fit the kid's seat because she is nine and the roll bar
gets in the way...

Michael