Spit Rr Wheel Brg R&R?

To: '"acsu.buffalo.edu!british-cars%alliant.com"@planck'.acsu.buffalo.edu (sol)
Subject: Spit Rr Wheel Brg R&R?
From: mit-eddie!hercules.acsu.buffalo.edu!tobin@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mike Tobin)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 9:26:04 EDT
Yesterday my son's Spit 1500 trashed it's right rear wheel bearing.
Anybody out there know the best way to R&R the thing?

The Haynes manual just has a section on removing the hub, and they tell
you remove essentially the whole supension on the side in question.
However, it appears from looking at the car that it should be possible
to simply drive out the pin on the inboard end of the halfshaft and pull
shaft and bearing out through the trunion (love that word) without
removing said trunion and all the variousa attached bits from the car.

We didn't get tp this until late last night and have only removed the
brake drum.  The kid was last seen trying to drive out the pin, but
without a proper drift he was unsuccessful.

Any suggestions - or does he just follow the Haynes instructions for the
rear suspension removal?

It's been a bad summer for the kid as far as right rear wheeel bearings
are concerned.  His Ford LTD (ex-copcar) is laid up for the same thing:
halfshafts and bearings are on back order.
MIke Tobin