Triumph sound deadening material

Subject: Triumph sound deadening material
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 13:47:35 PDT
For what it's worth, I've got some of this in my TR-4A as well. It's
present inside the doors, where it's painted white. It's also present
on the rear shelf (I hesitate to call it a seat) that covers the diff,
and on the leading panels there (i.e., the short vertical sheet metal
panels that connect the floor behind the seats and the rear shelf, ah
yes, it's called the heelboard). These pieces are of an indistinct
color, from years of sun abuse and some red overspray when the car was
repainted.  It's all cracked. I've never actually seen my floorboards
(because of a carpeting job by a previous owner that I'd really rather
not talk about, thank you very much) so I don't know if there's any there.

It does not appear to be rubber; rather, it seems to be some very thick
card- or fibre-board material that is heat molded into place. The piece
on the rear shelf is one large piece, molded to fit the diff hump and
securely attached by some sort of glue.

I have it in my mind that these parts are described somewhere as sound
deadening material, but I can't find it right now.

Darrell, note that TRF does list underfelt for the floor, as part of
their carpet sets. Maybe part of what you see is an attempt to replace
unavailable (or rot-prone) felt?

chris