Re: I give up...

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: I give up...
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 13:43:17 pdt
From: EDDIE.MIT.EDU!mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent
To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: I give up...

>How *does* one replace the rear brake hoses on an IRS TR (4A, 250 or 6)?
>The fitting on the end that's on the trailing arm is easy. The fitting
>on the end that's on the frame seems impossible -- I don't see any way
>to get a normal wrench on any of the fittings.

>Hints? Suggestions? Ideas? Guesses? The rear hoses seem to bein fine shape,
>but I replaced the front ones (which needed it badly), and wanted to be
>complete.

>chris

I can't really tell from your description why you're unable to get to
these fittings but maybe a wrench especially designed for tubing
fittings will work.  Of course rubber brake line is a bit thicker so I'm
not sure if you can.

These wrenches are basically open-end but the opening is just large
enough to fit over the tubing and to slip onto the fitting.  They have a
much smaller profile than a normal wrench so will fit into a space with
very limited clearance.  The handles have a smaller round cross section
rather than being wide and flat which allows more "swing" in limited
spaces.

                                            * * *
                                          *  ___  *
         _______________________________/   /   \__*
        |                               *  |
        |_______________________________*  |     __
                                        \   \___/  *
                                          *       *
                                            * * *

The diagram is only to give a general idea.  For one thing, the
opening is off-set from the handle line not as I've shown it here and
the jaw material is fairly thin with a round exterior.  It's somewhat
like a socket thats open at both ends with a handle attached the wall.

You may not be able to buy one at your local hardware store but you
should be able to get one at a tool store.  You might even be able to
rent one.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcilan.hp.com