electric fuel pump

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: electric fuel pump
From: mit-eddie!mozart.AMD.COM!zahid@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Zahid Ahsanullah)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 90 09:05:35 CDT
>If it only has 1 wire coming out of it then you have to pay attention to
>if it's a pisitive ground or negative ground. If it has 2 wires, measure
>the resistance from the body of the pump to each wire. If there's no
>resistance the your cars ground doesn't matter. I wonder if it'll pump
>the gas from the carbs to the tank if it's wired backwards...

Electric fuel pumps are usually make-break thingeys meaning that
there is a spring loaded steel piston inside a coil. The coil is
powered through a switch that is connected to the piston, as the piston
moves forward it breaks the power the coil. The spring pulls it backward
to where it makes the connection again. This is what makes the deal
pump and make that awful racket when it's empty. Now there may be other
kinds that I don't know of but none I reckon would be as reliable.
Hooking it backwards will not work as the piston will try to compress
the spring. Doing this for a ten or fifteen seconds wouldn't harm it
either. So just hook it up and if you hear a racket you're doing fine
else reverse the connection.