Re: TR4 conversion, USA => UK

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM, mit-eddie!cindy.Altos.COM!adrian@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: TR4 conversion, USA => UK
From: mit-eddie!vax.ftp.com!mason@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Nark Mason)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 90 04:07:22 EDT
I can't speak for the TR4 but I feel compelled to put in my 2 cents worth
and my TR250 does have a TR4 body. I can't see any problem with converting
a TR250 to RHD. I don't know offhand if you'd just flip the steering rack
over or remove the pinion gear and put it in backwards and flip the steering
rack around, but when I was playing with the steering either one looked
possible. The pedals would be pretty easy to remount, and my dash (non stock?)
seems to be veneered on both sides, but I don't think most are like this.
Buying a new dash or re-veneering the one you've got would be pretty easy.
Probably the most difficult part would be re-wiring the dash as the wires
would be too short to reach the guages new locations. Fortunately you're
spared the trouble of moving the shift from the right side of the drivers
seat to the left.
Austin made this conversion even easier on some versions of the Mini, the
guages are centered in the dash. Ick.