More on LBC on MT

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: More on LBC on MT
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 90 09:10:51 pdt
Thanks to Roger and Garry re: the info on the car I'm trying to
identify.

Last night I fast forwarded through the tape of the two episodes of the
program I have recorded.  Sure enough, I found a scene where the MG
medallion is plainly visible.  As a matter of fact, I think it was
intentional.  Someone associated with this production is obviously in
love with the car.  There's hardly one outdoor scene without a
prominent shot of it.  Usually it's in the foreground and in good
focus.  Lots of shots along the hood (bonnet if you prefer) or sighting
from the rear or in close-up profile.  There was even one good close-up
of the wing-nut mechanism for the fold-down windscreen.

Here are some more details for you early MG experts:

  It has a trunk (boot) that's hinged about 2/3 of the way down and
  opens from the top (like a rumble seat).

  It has louvers starting close to the radiator going back about 1/2 to
  2/3 of the way to the firewall, then a solid area a few inches wide
  and then a few more inches of louvers.

  Very narrow track and long hood.  The profile is vaguely similar to
  a TR2 or 3 but with a much rounder tail and, of course, clamshell
  fenders.

  The sides are cut down but it has doors hinged at the back.

  No bumpers.

  It has integrated fenders (not the bike-type) that go all the way down
  to the bottom of the body line but no running boards.  They are flat
  on the outside and peaked on top.

  Judging from the pictures in some of my car mags, I would guess that
  the car is from the mid rather than late 30s.  1934-36 would be my
  best guess.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcilan.hp.com