re: Stated Value insurance.

To: "bellcore!EDDIE.MIT.EDU!alliant!british-cars"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: Stated Value insurance.
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 8 Jun 1990 8:57 EDT

Bob Bownes asks:
>       Anyone have any luck getting SVI on their car? I can't seem to get
>anyone to insure 'Lizbeth (1976 TR-6) for more than book value (< $1K),
>including classic car companies. The regular agents won't touch it for other
>than book if it's made after 1969, and the classic car companies I've talked
>to won't touch it if I drive it more than 2500 miles a year. And back and
>forth to the VTR convention is further than that sometimes.

Have you tried State Farm Insurance?  Most State Farm agents aren't
aware of it, but there is a State Farm classification for "Classic
Cars" which are vehicles older than 10 years.  That is a different
classification than State Farm's "Antique Classification" which is
for vehicles over 25 years old.

Also, the Classic Car Insurance companies will allow you to exceed
2500 miles in a given year if you notify them in advance that, for
example, you will be driving to the Triumph Convention in Boulder
Colorado in 1990.  Look again at their advertisements and you will
find that mentioned in some of them.

One thing you must keep in mind about the Classic Car policies is
that they are very specific as to the vehicle NOT being used for
daily transportation.  Specifically the vehicle really must be a
second car and use limited to club, parade, and other hobby
purposes only.

Bill Sohl
bellcore!taichi!whs70
or