Re: Sprite gas tank

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Sprite gas tank
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!jesup@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Randell Jesup)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 02:26:19 EST
        First, be VERY VERY careful if you're thinking about cutting (and
welding) a gas tank.  Take it to a professional and let him deal with it,
if he will.  I strongly advise against doing it yourself, especially if you
can smell ANY gas at the opening.

        Second, 180 miles max?  My Mk III sprite manual lists it as 7.2
gallons (27.3 litres), which should be good for at least 200 miles in a
sprite in reasonable tune, perhaps as much as 250 or 280 on the highway
with a light foot in good tune.  Any sprite getting less tha 25 MPG needs
a tuneup or rebuild.  Even my worst sprite, with 100 miles/quart of oil
(very worn rings/valve guides), marginal valves, etc, etc got better than
25 - I think it usually was around 30, maybe even 35 on the highway (my
better sprite got 30 min, up to around 40 on the highway).

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"