re: Triumph Surrey top (and TR4A hoods)

To: "bellcore!wsl.dec.com!kent"@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: re: Triumph Surrey top (and TR4A hoods)
From: mit-eddie!gatech!iuvax!bellcore!pyuxe!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 26 Jan 1990 8:27 EST
Chris Kent asked:
>So I've been looking at pictures of TR4s with Surrey tops, and the
>thought occurred that Sarah might look quite nice with one. Does anyone
>have any idea on where I might find one, and what the cost might be?

The Surrey top
is a nice addition, but it isn't easy to find.  Once in a while
someone advertises one for sale in the Vintage Triumph Register
newsletter.  Prices seem to run in the $500 area.  The top, if
complete has two center sections: a soft top and a hard top.
The soft-top section with its braces IS easily removed and stowed
at any time.  The hard-top section, while easy to remove, would
present a stowage problem in the car itself.

>And while you're thinking about tops, can someone who's familiar with
>the TR4A hood (as distinct from the TR4, which was very different),
>explain to me in gory detail how the hood/hood rail, hoodstick cover,
>and tonneau are to be mounted, and what fasteners? My car is clearly
>wrong, because it has snaps all the way 'round. It appears that the
>hoodstick cover or tonneau should be able to go on with the hood in
>place or not, which leads me to think that the back of the hood should
>be mounted somehow with lift-the-dot studs, and that there need to be
>another set of lift-the-dot studs in the body. I can see holes under
>the hood rail that might be filled with such studs, but it's all very
>confused. The factory manuals are completely vague on the topic.

The TR-4A and TR-250 body, top, etc are identical, but....
My TR-250 is stored in a neighbors garage, but I'll try to get
down and take a look at it this weekend.  As near as I can recall,
Chris's description of his 4A fasteners appears correct for the 4A.
The rear part of the top does not come off when the top is down
except for 3 snaps on each side.  The tonneau only has snaps along
the outside edge.  The only "lift-the-dot" fasteners I can recall
are inside the car at the back to attache the bottom of the tonneau
to the inside of the car so it wraps up the top when it is down.

Bill Sohl