Re: Carb Problem

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carb Problem
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 08:58:55 -0400
At 11:39 PM 8/19/2006 EDT, Maycinc@cs.com wrote:

>I put a new rebuilt 2150 carb on ol' 1343 and it runs fine but the car is
>very hard to start.  I decided to take a look and when I moved the
throttle there
>was no gas.  So, I took the top off the carb and there was very little gas
in
>the bowl.  Somehow the gas is leaking out.  It's not leaking outside the
carb
>so it has to be internal.  What I'm thinking is that the hose going from the
>charcoal canister to the bowl vent is somehow getting presurized after I
shut
>if off and thus is pressurizing the bowl and forcing the gas back into the
>pump.  Does this make sense?  What else should I check?

Marvin,

There is an easy way to test that, disconnect the hose to the canister, and
take the car for a drive.  That hose is supposed to only catch the vapors
from the float bowl.

Another possibility is that there is no insulator plate between the carb
and the manifold, so the heat is boiling the fuel out of the carb.  I
have this problem on my Morgan right now, but it's do to the engine over
heating.  When I stop, it heat soaks the carb and boils out the fuel.

I'm not familuar with the 2150.  Is this the orig. carb or one of the
aftermarket carbs.  Regardless, here are some other things to think
about.  No for the dump questions:

1. Are you sure the float is set correctly, and not too low so you don't
   get enough fuel into the bowl?

2. You said, "when I moved the throttle there was no gas".  Is the
accelerator
   pump working?  Again on my Morgan, I had this problem.  The gas had
   clogged the passage from the float bowel to the accelerator pump so I
   wasn't getting any fuel to the accelerator pump.

   Or it could be the O ring on the accelerator pump is bad.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229