Re: AOD on a '74

To: Bricklin0023@aol.com
Subject: Re: AOD on a '74
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:02:09 -0400
At 01:20 PM 8/26/02 -0400, Bricklin0023@aol.com wrote:

>I did a decent amount of research on this subject when I decided to convert
>to overdrive.  Personally, I wanted a 5 spd....but I was open to either as
>long as it had overdirve.....
>Fourth, You can bolt up a T-5 like me (lots of rigging for the pedals and
>linkage/hydraulic clutch).  And if you want something stronger...you get a
>Tremec 3550 (I got one now and it will go in when I toast my T-5...which
>might not be long with the nice 401...).
>
>   Fifth, I think that there is another option....but I cant remeber it to
write it to you guys.

For those of you with 74's there are 2 options as I see it.
1. I believe that a company called "gearguys.com" and others sell aftermarket
   bolt on overdrives.  Gearguys systems will take up to 2,000 hp!!!  But
   you'll pay for it.

2. If you don't really want shit-N-git but lower eng. rpms, better gas milage,
   etc. look at putting a Ford 9" rear end under the car.  Then you can
   relatively inexpensively and easily play with rear end ratios for what
   you want.  If you end up with a nice crusing speed, but want a little
   more punch, then look at a better carb, headers, and a slight cam.
   I personally think this is the more economical avenue and a lot less
   work than what Jamie when through.

BTW, I'm still looking for an article detailing putting the AOD in a 75 for
the mag.