Re: AOD on a '74

To: "bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AOD on a '74
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@mnsi.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 00:48:00 -0400
Good luck finding an AOD for an AMC. there are people that are making the
ford AOD bolt up to Gm and Mopar but these conversions aren't cheap. to get
one done for an amc expect to spend mid four figures. the trans will also
have to be converted to run without the normal computer inputs for 4 th gear
and torque lock up. It can be done but not cheap. To get an AOD build for my
car that would hold the 4-500 lbs of torque ( modified motor)  was going to
cost in the  neighborhood of 3 grand and that without lock up. They said it
won't live with lock up at thigh torque.
 If you are all set on overdrive it may be cheaper to go to a 5 speed. you
can pick up a brand new tremec tko or 3550 for about 1500 and then get a
Lakewood or McLeod explosion proof bell housing  to fit for a couple of
hundred more than there are the pedals flywheel and clutch. not cheep either
but I think a stick is more 'fun' to drive.
Rick