Re: Bricklin - What's a good tire to use?

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bricklin - What's a good tire to use?
From: "Seth" <sbunin@provide.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 17:06:32 -0500
First, the FR60 is not made anymore, the replacement (in P-metric) is
the 235/60R15. The Goodrich Radial T/A is the stock tire for the vehicle,
and is a very decent tire at a very low price (you can find them at the
Tire Rack for about $57 a piece). If you want a little more, you can go to the
Goodrich Comp T/A which is a bit more expensive, much better performance
and a better treadwear rating than comparable tires.

When I went to get my car aligned, I ran into the same problem. Almost every
shop I went to would not align my Brick because it wasn't in their computer,
even
though I had the specs I wanted it aligned to! I was finally able to get a
firestone
store to align it to my specs (partly because my company does a lot of business
with them).

Seth

On 11/9/01, at 10:19 AM, jugeauj@gdls.com <jugeauj@gdls.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>    It's time to get new tires and I just want to do a quick check.
>
>QUESTION:
>The Bricklin website list the tires used as:
>Goodrich T/A fabric radial, tubeless Fr60-15inch
>Is that correct?
>"fabric radial", that makes me nervous.
>Does that refer to that nylon cord that (I've noticed from prior
>experience) tends to develop flat spots after sitting for a while and also
>yields the wheels a mind of their own?
>
>QUESTION:
>I'm not an expert where tires are concerned so does anyone recommend a
>better tire?
>Nothing high performance (I'm not racing this thing around, I'm not that
>lucky) just good wear and tear characterizes.
>
>This to the side, the main thing that pushed me into getting tires was
>inquiring on getting an alignment done; it pulls pretty badly to the left.
>A local garage that has one of those new computerized alignment machine but
>doesn't shy away from aligning cars the old fashioned way informed me that
>a new set of tires may very well improve how straight the car goes down the
>road.
>Also, the tires themselves play a significant part in any tweaking involved
>so it'll pay in the long run to start off with new tires.
>Oh, by the way, he does NOT sell tires so I didn't detect any hidden
>motive(s). I'd have to get them elsewhere and come back.
>
>Also, in checking out other alignment shops, I found that apparently many
>of these shops are investing in these new computerized alignment
>rigs/machines that require the make and model of the car in question to be
>programmed in.
>Guess what.
>The Bricklin's not listed.
>One guy told me that if there were a car that was listed in the computer
>that came close to it he could tweak the numbers since the computer allows
>that functionality.
>Unfortunately the Bricklin, although using many common parts found on more
>common makes and models, is it's own thing (right?).

///
///