Re: What kind and size of speakers for Bricklins?

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>, "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: What kind and size of speakers for Bricklins?
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 03:36:44 -0400
Yes, I believe so.  They are either 161s or 162s, I have the box in my shop
along with the original speakers. I've sent the right #s to the list before.
Wal-Mart has them for about $20, more or less.  They are still in
production.   Hi end they are not, but neither are CVs.  For the money, they
are pretty decent, far better than the 25 year old originals.  Amazingly,
even the little tabs on the outer ring of the speaker line up perfectly with
the original grilles and they snap on with ease. Most newer speakers do not
use these large rings and therefore you need to use the grilles that come
with the new speaker.   I doubt even shows would pick up any difference
without looking at the BACK of the speaker.  The OEM radio is a terrible
specimen.  These are very efficient speakers so the radio will still play as
loud (not very) and as distorted as before.  Except you'll hear the
distortion much better :o)

You can get a CD changer with an FM modulator that will play through the FM
radio.  All FM modulated CDs play by FM radio specs, but its better than 8
tracks.  Nothing has to show and you can control the CDs through a very very
tiny remote or a separately cabled remote you can stick anywhere.    You can
also put a PPI PowerClass amp inline with the speaker outputs WITHOUT the
need for a "transformer" between the units to step down the output voltage.
If you hide the amp (a 50wx2ch is small) and the CD changer ( most are very
compact) the install will be completely hidden and the amp and CD changer
will turn on automatically.   If you insist on a subwoofer there are small
6.5" (Kicker and a couple others) versions that can be tucked away without
cutting into anything. These will not shake the car but will round out the
sound nicely.   If you want to change the insides of the radio, there used
to be a guy named the Radioman that will upgrade the entire circuitry of the
old radio without disturbing the looks for some serious money.  As you see,
you have many options.

Good luck,

stephan #2821

BTW, you may want to delete the email tag barking MSN mail by taking it out
the OPTIONS section under signatures tab.