Re: Alternator wiring....and timing

To: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternator wiring....and timing
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:51:14 -0400
At 03:13 PM 9/25/00 -0400, Jamie Olenick  wrote:

>When I hooked the alternator back up to the car I found that I had one blue
>wire coming from the alternator that did not connect to anything.  Anyone
>know where this wire goes??  I could not find it on John's diagrams....maybe
>I did not look hard enough....

Jamie,

   The blue wire goes to the field terminal on the Alt. and to the "F"
terminal on the VR.

   You should have received the update to the wiring diag. I released dated
5/27/00.  This shows the Alt. wiring a lot better than the orig. diag.

>Note:  car is a 1974 with a recent Ford Duraspark conversion.

>Also, I am having a really hard time trying to set the timing.  The
>indicator over the crank/balancer is almost impossible to see.  Any helpful
>hints?

Yes.  Statically set the eng. to TDC.  Crawl under the car and paint a
new timing mark anyplace you want!  Make sure that you paint both the
fixed and moving part.  The timing should be about 5deg BTDC.  So you can
calculate that on the harmonic dampener and make another line.

>Anyone know the firing order on the 74?  ...so I can find out which bank
>starts at 1 and which one starts at 5.

The firing order is:  1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

The cyls are numbered:

   7    5    3    1